On the day before yesterday I wrote: " I don't know if I was more disappointed that my platelet level is going down, or that, although I was just at the threshold for another platelet transfusion, my HemOnc wanted to wait until tomorrow for a new blood draw to decide on transfusion." Today I am here to say, "Always listen to your HemOnc!" I had a blood draw yesterday, and my blood counts are rebounding! Hemoglobin is up a bit; platelets are up to the point that I will need to be back on blood thinners because of my deep vein thrombosis (DVT), and my neutrophils are coming back! Neutrophils mean immunity, and their presence is tracked by a datum dubbed Absolute Neutorphil Count (ANC). And mine is on the rise!! And that makes me feel better physically and emotionally. Typically, when my blood counts begin to rebound, the numbers come up pretty quickly. So, I anticipate that platelets and ANC will be into the normal ranges by Monday, just in time for my return...
One of my favorite passages of Scripture is the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew chapters 5, 6 and 7). I love it because, as our Pastor Ben preached last Sunday morning, it turned the world upside down. Ben's sermon covered the Beatitudes. The English word Beatitude is derived from the Latin beātitūdō , which can be translated roughly "perfect happiness." The Gospel according to Matthew, like the rest of the New Testament, was written in Greek, so what we have in our English Bibles has been translated from Ancient Greek, and sometimes something may be lost in translation. The word translated "blessed" derives from the Greek word μακάριος (makarios) which means something like "supremely happy" or "to be congratulated." Sorry for the detour into linguistic nerdiness, but I want to help you understand what I am writing about today. As Ben spoke about the Beatitudes this morning, he made the point that they are not a list of virtues. That is to say...
BOX SCORE Element Current Std. Range Trend Hemoglobin 11.5 13-17 v Platelets 161 140-375 v ANC 3610 1800-8300 v Ferritin 1121 My goal <1000 v CD4 Cells 240 My goal > 200 ^ Well, well, well. At first glance the Box Score looks a little disappointing, and to be honest, it is. On the other hand, it is quite easily explained. Two weeks prior to these labs, I had my first Therapeutic Phlebotomy, or in other words, I had a pint of the red stuff drawn out of my circulatory system. One would therefore, I suppose, expect that blood count...
Comments
Post a Comment