T+31 Memories and Totems

What do you do, when you are quarantined, living in a basement apartment, it's Saturday, and the temperature is 78 degrees? Under other circumstances, we might go on a road trip, or have a picnic, or drive to the beach. In our case, those things are mostly off limits. 

So, what we did today, like most days, is drive down Marquam Hill, through the Veterans Hospital campus to Terwilliger Blvd. From there we found one of the parking turnouts that are thoughtfully sprinkled along this beautiful roadway. And then we went for a walk. We love to hike, but my stamina is not as great as it once was. I would say, when we do this sort of thing, which is several times a week we walk between half a mile and a mile or a little more. 

Today from our car park area we walked up to the Chart House Restaurant and the adjacent Elk Point Viewpoint. Eons ago, this was one of my parents' favorite restaurants. In fact that time went back to the days when this establishment was known as the Hillvilla. When there was a special occasion, the Hillvilla (renamed the Chart House in 1985) was near the top of the list of venues among which Mom and Dad would choose a special place to host a dinner. Jill and I were fortunate to be invited along on occasion. 

Today, we discovered the Elk Point Viewpoint, of which I have no previous recollection. It is a small area adjacent to the restaurant, but features a beautiful view of Mt. Hood, and a fifty  foot tall totem pole carved by a Native American named Lelooska. Now, I remember many years ago driving up I-5 and seeing a place in Woodland, WA where there always seemed to be totem poles being carved alongside the highway. And I remember the name Lelooska associated with that establishment. Today, Jill read that Lelooska lived in Ariel, WA which is in the mountains above Woodland. So, this all fits and brings back memories for me. Jill also read that the totem pole was carved in 1959 by Lelooska as part of the Oregon Centennial Celebration. 





Fifty foot Totem Pole carved by Lelooska



 

Mt. Hood from the Elk Point Viewpoint



 

(If you click on the photos, they get big enough to really see them.)

And so, that, my friends, is how you spend a warm, sunny Saturday afternoon with your little honey, when your energy and mobility are limited. Works for me!


I lift up my eyes to the hills.
    From where does my help come?
My help comes from the Lord,
    who made heaven and earth. (Psalm 121:1-2)

Comments

  1. Sounds like a delightful way to spend the day. I'm glad you two were able to see the sights and the beautiful scenery. :-) Donalynn

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Anniversary

A Dream Come True

Don' be that guy!