Day T-5

BOX SCORE




Element

Current

Std. Range

Trend

Hemoglobin

7.2

13-17

v

Platelets

84

140-375

v

ANC

1610

1800-8300

v

It was a crazy night. I was expecting to get a good night's rest before the fun began, but I should have known better. This ain't the Transplant Hilton, these people are here to do business. After the flurry of activity following our arrival yesterday, nurse Kensie plugged me into an IV and a drip of Cyclophosphamide began about 10:00pm. This chemotherapy drug is very effective, but it can be hard on the bladder. So, at the same time, I received Mesna, a drug to protect my bladder, and saline solution to hydrate me and keep my kidneys working and my bladder filling. I was ordered to urinate at least once every two hours, so that no crystals are able to form, which can cause bleeding and infection.

After the bag of Cyclophosphamide was empty, around 11pm, a bag of Fludarabine took its place, and the Mesna drip continued. The CNA checked my vital signs every four hours, and of course, there were the trips to the bathroom. 

In unrelated events, I kept hearing a sound like the motors on an old propeller driven airliner. (I think it might have been a DC-3.) About every half hour it repeated, and although the blinds were closed, and I couldn't see for sure, it sounded like the plane was flying between the hospital and the Physician's Pavilion,  across the street. In my mind's eye I imagined it was flying between the buildings and under the sky bridge that joins the two. 

https://cdn.britannica.com/38/27138-050-D26CAB99/passenger-aircraft-Douglas-DC-3-introduction-airline-business-1935.jpg 

Douglas DC-3*

As you may imagine, none of these things were conducive to sound sleeping. I think I may have had stretches of an hour here and there when I was soundly asleep. Incidentally, Jill reported that the neighbors above Marquam Manor were busy moving furniture or having dance rehearsals or something in the wee hours. Then before she headed to the hospital, a chirping sound began. I suspect that was a low battery signal from the smoke alarm. She informed Matt of the chirping and mentioned the noise upstairs in passing. He said he would attend to it. 

First night jitters? I suspect they played a role in all of this, too. Suffice to say that neither of us was well rested today, but we have managed to make several laps around the oncology unit, totaling a bit more than a mile. And of course, tomorrow is another day. So far, I am feeling amazingly good. I was told this chemo regimen would be much harder than what I have previously experienced, but so far, I'm weathering the storm. And my lunch was surprisingly good, a Caesar Salad with salmon. 

"Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." (Matthew 6:34)

 

* https://cdn.britannica.com/38/27138-050-D26CAB99/passenger-aircraft-Douglas-DC-3-introduction-airline-business-1935.jpg

 

 

Comments

  1. I hope you and Jill were able to catch some naps during the day. Rest is so important, especially under duress with the newness of everything and learning to navigate through it all. Blessings, Donalynn

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Anniversary

A Dream Come True

Miracles still happen