Not a snub...

BOX SCORE




Element

Current

Std. Range

Trend

Hemoglobin

10.2

13-17

v

Platelets

155

140-375

^

ANC

1400

1800-8300

v

What would you think, if I told you I have a frozen shoulder? Would you think I am being standoffish? Would you get me a blanket? Would you check for frostbite? Would you send me to a physical therapist? If you chose physical therapy (PT), you would be the most helpful. 

I began PT today at Therapeutic Associates, Inc. in Salem this morning. Now why am I not getting my PT at Kaiser you ask. Well, that has not been explained to me in so many words, but because I used to work for Kaiser, I have some inside dope. When the system gets overwhelmed, and patients can't get necessary treatment in a timely manner from a Kaiser-Permanente healthcare provider, there is a provision for outside referrals covered by our Kaiser Health Plan. 

This morning, I had an appointment with Camas, the director of the TAI office in South Salem. She is a joy. Very knowledgeable, compassionate and funny. She is a DPT, or Doctor of Physiotherapy. She put me through my paces and quickly diagnosed my right shoulder pain as Adhesive Capsulitis, AKA Frozen Shoulder. As she explained it to us, this malady is the result of the capsule surrounding the shoulder joint shrinking and binding up the joint so that it doesn't allow the arm its full range of motion. She said the cause is unknown, and that it doesn't require a traumatic injury. She speculated that chemotherapy may have played a role in its development, but not necessarily.

Camas said, "There is good news, though; this condition will resolve itself in time. The bad news is that it can take up to three years." Arrrgh. That didn't sound too encouraging. She went on to tell us that the goal of my PT treatment will be to reduce pain as much as possible so that things will not be made worse by painful muscles further limiting mobility. 

My left shoulder, which has been painful, but to a much lesser degree, is probably having pain for two reasons. First, as I lose function in my right shoulder, my body compensates by shifting the load to the left side. So, it is overworked, compared to what it is accustomed to doing. Second, I have some long-standing knots in my trapezius muscles (the ones that slope down from my neck toward my shoulders and support the shoulder blades) that can refer pain to the shoulder structures. 

So, I got a shoulder massage, some exercises to do, including a gadget with a rope that goes over a pulley that is suspended by being hung over a door. With one hand I pull down, which lifts the other arm and stretches the muscles. I also ordered a massage "gun" for applying spot massage to the muscles to keep them loose. 

Another unexpected journey to pursue. I will be seeing PT twice a week for the next several weeks, and I hope it will reduce my pain enough that the Frozen Shoulder will "thaw out" more quickly than three years. 

This whole aging business is full of surprises, not all of which are pleasant. May the Lord bless me with patience and perseverance As I attempt to take good care of His temple! 

May it be so, Jehovah Rapha (the God Who heals)!

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

  1. Oh Tom, I understand your shoulder pain. I had frozen shoulder when I was in my 50's. My chiropractor did a lot of easy manipulations and then I also used the rope and pulley system at home to help also in the recovery process. It did not take 3 years. My memory is recalling that it took between 6 to 9 months to get better. Hang in there and I'm glad someone has diagnosed it so healing can begin. God bless you. Donalynn :-)


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donalynn. You are always such an encouragement to me. It's nice to hear how well your recovery went. I am encouraged this morning by the fact that, after one visit, my left shoulder is feeling noticeably better.

      Delete
  2. Hurray!!! Keep up the good work!! Donalynn

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Anniversary

A Dream Come True

Miracles still happen